Thursday, June 4, 2009

Blog from Rome 6-4-09

I've seen so much in the past two days. Between the Vatican City yesterday and the Colosseum today, I was completely blown away. I couldn't take enough pictures to capture all that I saw. The Pope, Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's Basilica. Mind. Blown. Thanks. I had originally intended to do both the Vatican and Colosseum in the same day. As I soon found out, not possible if you really want to take it all in. The Sistine Chapel was beautiful, of course, but so were all the other chapels. The Colosseum was incredible to see in person. Definitely a major engineering feat. It brought to life a lot of what I learned about the Sabine empire from Cultures & Literature of the New Testament. Then was the Roman Forum and the Palatine. You really needed to use your imagination at the Forum to see what it would have been like at its pinnacle, but to think that that was the epitome of democracy.

The guys I roomed with at the hostel are pretty cool. One guy is from Oklahoma and is doing the same thing as I. He left for home today to be in his brother's wedding this weekend. I learned he was a Christian, so that was neat. We talked a little about church, and I recommended he read Orthodoxy. The other two are Irish and have come to Rome for four days. They are pretty cool, too.

There's so much more to say, but I'm tired, and I leave for Venice in the morning so that's all I'm going to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment